Accounting and Business Support Unit
» Annual Accounts
» Management accounts
» VAT returns
Payroll, Tax & VAT
» Payroll services
» Corporate tax services
» Personal tax services
» Contractors' & IR 35
» Tax planning
» VAT consultancy
» Annual Returns
» Company Searches
» Filing of Forms
» Share Register Maintenance
Consulting & Corporate Finance
» Business consultancy
» Business start-up advice
» Cashflow and profit forecasting
» Company valuations
Annual Accounts Preparation
- Prepare accounts to help in completion of self-assessment tax returns;
- Produce financial statements to file at Companies House and abbreviated accounts to ensure the minimum amount of your financial information is made public.
Accounts are prepared to agreed timescales and deadlines.But we can do more than just report the history of what's already happened...
- Identify areas where we can assist in minimising your tax liability;
- Identify areas of the business that give you the most opportunity to make improvements;
- Use the accounts to help you measure where you are in meeting your goals and what actions you need to take.
- We take the time to explain your accounts to you so that you understand what is going on financially within your business, helping you to plan for the future.
Let us take the stress of paperwork off your hands...
- Drop off your invoices, bank statements, etc;
- We do all the processing;
- We can then easily prepare for you...
- Management Accounts;
- VAT Returns;
- Key Performance Indicators;
- End of Year Accounts;
- Estimated Tax Liabilities as you go along so there's no end of year surprises;
- You pick up the records (neatly filed and organised!) and all the information we've agreed to provide you with.
- It also makes it easy for us to handle any VAT inspections.
Management Accounts and Information
Up to date, relevant and quickly produced management information allows you to make the right decisions.
Our management accounts and information services include...
- Monthly or quarterly management accounts;
- Reporting of key performance indicators that are the underlying drivers that run your business;
- Help with in house systems for you to produce your own information;
- Training on how to get the most out of your information;
- Supplying management information to lenders;
- Branch/Divisional results;
- Actual performance compared to budget and/or comparative periods;
- Costing information, including break-even turnover levels.
Compliance with VAT is complex. Investigations by the Vatman can be intense - all the more important that your VAT returns are completed correctly.
There are three methods we can use to assist in completion of VAT returns...
- Let us do your book-keeping and we complete the return from there;
- Give us your books and we'll complete the return for you;
- Provide training on how to complete your return.
We complete VAT returns in good time to ensure you avoid any penalties.
Payrolls come in all types and sizes. They may vary in their degree of complexity but they all have one thing in common : they are urgent!
Which is why we have a dedicated team of specialists in our payroll department geared up to providing a timely, accurate and flexible service, tailored to suit your needs.
We can relieve you of the pressure of calculating PAYE, overtime pay, holiday pay, sick pay, maternity pay and all the other variables that arise. Alternatively, we can also provide PAYE training if you prefer to do it yourself, and a helpline in case you run into any difficulty.
Payroll and PAYE Returns
Everything seemed fine running your own business until the day you took on your first employee and became an unpaid tax collector. This is when you found out what red tape was all about.
Let us take the strain away from you and let you get on with running and growing the business. Payroll is complicated and has to be done on time and you as the employer are responsible for the mistakes.
We run payrolls on time and can provide a tailor made service for your business including...
- Employee payslips;
- Monthly summaries;
- Departmental reports;
- Dealing with leavers and starters;
- Provision of analysis of staff costs;
- PAYE returns for the Revenue;
- Assistance with automated payment set-up to your employees;
- CIS returns completed by us.
You will never have to worry about calculating statutory sick pay or maternity pay and dealing with tax credits and student loan deductions ever again!
And at year end...
- Employer Annual Return P35;
- Employee summary P60's and P14's;
- P11D and P9D benefit and expenses returns.
And the related tax planning advice...
Contractors and IR35
Please contact us if you would like a free consultation to discuss the tax advantages of contracting in more detail and the different possible scenarios. We offer all inclusive services for contractors including...
- Company formation;
- Annual Accounts;
- Company tax returns;
- Personal Tax Returns;
- Company secretarial service;
- PAYE Returns;
- Tax computations;
- Review of contracts for IR35 status;
- Provision of anti IR35 draft contracts;
- Dealing with IR35 disputes.
For more information, see our IR35 and contractors helpsheet.
Need help with your Tax Return or want to pay less tax?
Personal tax services are available both for business owners and private individuals including...
- All aspects of Self Assessment;
- Dealing with Tax Returns;
- Tax enquiries;
- Computation of liabilities;
- Tax disputes;
- Correspondence with HMRC;
- Inheritance tax planning;
Are you a buy to let investor or property dealer or developer?
Property tax is a bit of a maze and we can advise you on issues such as...
- Tax reduction strategies for rental income;
- What is a repair and tax deductible and what is capital and not;
- When to use a Limited Company to save tax;
- Trading income versus Capital Gain considerations and advice;
- Capital Gains rollover and holdover considerations;
- Stamp Duty planning;
- Tax efficient mortgage structures;
- VAT considerations of property deals;
- Making the most of the Principal Private Residence election;
- Tax issues on the sale of part of your residence;
- Second homes;
- Inheritance Tax angles.
For more information see our helpsheets on ...
- CGT and your principal private residence.
- Taxation of buy to let properties.
- Using a limited company to save property tax.
It's an unfortunate fact of business life that from time to time there will be disagreement between the taxpayer and HMRC. Sometimes it is the facts of the case that are in question but it is also often the legislation itself that is in question. Tax isn't always black and white and where this is the case we are happy to argue your case in the strongest possible terms.
As a taxpayer you have many rights and we will ensure they are never forgotten by HMRC.
Disputes can arise in all sorts of areas outside of full enquiries and investigations including...
- Employment status disputes;
- Repairs v capital disputes;
- Private usage adjustments;
- Capital allowances - is it plant or property?
- Settlements legislation - the classic husband and wife company scenario;
- Valuations for tax purposes;
- Is it a trading activity?
- VAT segregation of businesses to avoid registration;
- Employee benefit disputes.
We have the specialist tax knowledge to assist with a wide range of tax disputes.
Tax Enquiries and Investigations
It is an unfortunate fact of business life that you may well come under enquiry by HMRC through no fault of your own or of your accountant. HMRC now investigates businesses at random as well as for specific reasons. A full investigation is not a pleasant experience for anyone. Without expert defence it is possible to get trampled all over.
If you are selected at random, you need an accountant who knows how HMRC works and thinks and is prepared to fight your case. We make sure that the Taxman keeps to its own internal guidelines and doesn't over step the mark. We will talk you through the enquiry process and what to expect and support you throughout.
There are various penalties HMRC can seek to impose following an enquiry for undeclared income. As well as having to pay the tax, you can find them seeking penalties up to an amount equal to the tax, so doubling your tax bill. Interest on the late payment of the tax is also part of the arrangement - not a pleasant experience. We can help you minimize these penalties.
Anti-investigation Scanning Checks
with random investigations anyone can come under enquiry, you can help to avoid the chance of an investigation into your affairs for other reasons. We know the triggers that often give rise to enquiries if not fully explained to HMRC when submitting Returns to them. Every Tax Return or set of accounts we submit to the Taxman goes through an anti-investigation scanning check to identify any areas that may lead to an enquiry before they are submitted without explanation. This really does help to minimise the chances of you being on the wrong end of an enquiry.
Tax Returns and Self Assessment
Tax Returns can be completed for...
- Individuals and sole traders;
- Limited Companies.
The self-assessment regime is full of penalties and HMRC enquiry powers are extensive. It's important that...
- Returns are correctly completed;
- They are filed on time;
- All backup records are retained for the appropriate period of time.
As well as the completion of your return we can assist with...
- Advice on your tax liabilities;
- Negotiating with the Collector if necessary;
- Identifying suitable tax planning opportunities;
- Completing all the necessary tax computations;
- Dealing with all correspondence from HMRC, taking the worry away from you.
You are entitled to arrange your affairs to pay the absolute legal minimum amount of tax.
Whilst completion of tax returns and statutory tax obligations are important jobs, all accountants should be capable of completing them and advising you of your tax position and liabilities.
We try to do more than just this and are interested in maximising your tax planning opportunities.
We all have to pay our taxes but within the legal framework there are numerous ways of saving tax and making sure you do not pay a penny more than is absolutely necessary. We have extensive experience in this area of work and always fight as hard as we can for our clients.
We can help with tax planning in relation to...
- Personal taxes;
- Business taxes;
- Tax efficient employee remuneration strategies;
- VAT planning;
- Inheritance Tax strategies;
- Capital Gains;
- Profit extraction strategies;
- Exit strategies;
- Employment status;
- IR35 advice.
New clients are often surprised at how much can be done to help with their tax position. We are always willing to go that extra mile to offer advice on the areas where tax can be saved. We enjoy this work!
It is important that this work is done in advance and you should contact us as soon as possible.
All of our Tax Planning makes legitimate use of the Tax Legislation and Case Law, so that you are not put at additional risk from a full HMRC Enquiry, or where there are risks, these are pointed out to you.
VAT Planning and Disputes Compliance with VAT is becoming ever more complex. Investigations from the Vatman can be intense - all the more important that you have an accountant who is successful in negotiations with them.
We take best advantage of the reliefs available and the interpretation of the regulations. This is an extremely important feature of the service provided as it ensures peace of mind for all our clients.
We can help you with advice on the VAT schemes suitable to your business and dealing with VAT control visits as well.
For VAT registration we can assist with...
- Advising if you need to or if it would be beneficial to register;
- Completion of the VAT registration forms and formalities;
- Advising on the best VAT schemes to use suitable to your business - some you have to notify HMRC you are using and some you don't.
Business Start-up Services There's more to consider than just buying a cheap readymade company on the internet!
- We can assist you with company formations for...
- An off the shelf ready made company;
- A tailor made company;
- Limited Liability Partnership;
- PLC formation;
- Offshore companies in low tax jurisdictions.
For urgent requests we can also arrange same day formations.
To check the availability of a Limited Company name, you can use the Companies House Information Service. Type in the name you want and see if it comes up in the list.
Our Company formation packages can include...
- Advice on the pros and cons of incorporation in your own situation;
- Appointment of directors;
- Appointment of company secretary;
- Issue of subscriber shares;
- Registered office services;
- Completion of all necessary minutes and resolutions;
- Assistance in opening a bank account;
- Tax review with regard to company formation - forming the company yourself and getting this wrong can be very costly!
- VAT registration;
- Company registration for Corporation Tax;
- Set up of Company PAYE scheme;
- Book-keeping set-up advice;
- Business plans;
- Assistance with raising finance.
Company Secretarial We can help you fulfill this role and offer the following services...
- Registered office facilities;
- Maintenance of statutory registers;
- Submission of statutory documents;
- Giving notice of General Meetings;
- Drafting agendas for company meetings;
- Preparing Minutes of Meetings;
- Completion of share transfer forms;
- Preparation of share certificates;
- Carrying out company searches;
- Filing of Annual Return;
- Acting as Company Secretary;
- General Company Law advice;
- Advice on protection of minority interests.